Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fall-ish Tales

It was just another week in the life of Amelia.

There was preschool . . .

running 

This is what she does as soon as she’s released from the car. I’m pretty sure if they had curb-side service at her preschool, she’d prefer to get passed through the window, throw me the peace sign, and be on her way.

 

DSCN2574 She’s totally got the whole photo-shoot-before-school-routine. I tried to get her with a different background, but she’s all about this tree. And I wanted you to see her shirt, but she’s a tree-hugger like that. “The witch on my shirt matches the witch on my skirt” ((pointing))

On Thursday, I took her to MY school before dropping her off at her school. It was amazing—she walked right up to my work friends and talked like her little cheery self. The last time I took her to work, she hid behind my legs and refused to speak and I had to say things like, “I swear she’s a great talker.” Preschool is doing her wonders already. It’s so great to see her coming out of her shell.

Between our school days, we made a park run.

DSCN2549

And by ‘we’ I meant Amelia, Minnie, and me. We really should just get the Babychild a doll. Minnie is her little pal, with whom she acts like me, and says in her best mama voice, “You can sit right here, Minnie. I’ll buckle you in and we’ll have a lot of fun at the park, okay? Oh, you’re so cute Minnie. I love you.”

DSCN2552 DSCN2554

DSCN2558

DSCN2555

DSCN2567

DSCN2572

 

And like all good Californians, we hit the beach for a beautiful fall day on Friday. We went with our friends Megan and Molly and had a pretty great day of firsts. It was the first time Amelia was in the car with another kid, the first road trip as a mom/daughter/friend day, and the first time Molly slept better than another child, I *think.*

That’s right. Even the tough sleepers got nothin on Amelia. She’ll go all day on a loooong road trip, playing her heart out at the beach, and NOT nap on the way home. . . even as it got past her bedtime. She’s gangsta like that. I’ve long said that Amelia doesn’t sleep anywhere but her crib. She’s not the kid who will just pass out when she’s tired. She just doesn’t. And I felt completely validated in this assertion on Friday. For better or worse. At least I know my kid—even when all the rules, books, and others say otherwise. ha

BUT, she did have a 2-hour meltdown on the way home, so there was THAT. I am pretty sure she felt betrayed by Molly’s blissful slumber. She kept glaring at M and saying, ‘Molly WAKE UP!” Once Molly woke up (I’m pretty sure due to Amelia’s screaming), A was just fine.

((shaking head))

Still it was a pretty rad day.

DSCN2578 This is the closest they got to each other at the beach for a picture. I’m pretty sure it’s easier to photograph our dogs together.

DSCN2579

DSCN2584

Megan tried too.

DSCN2577

There was lots of sand play.

DSCN2588

DSCN2589

The weather was perfect. Could not have asked for better.

DSCN2593

It was super fab to be with another mama and little girl. It felt communal taking care of each others’ kids and refreshing to have another mom around to laugh with and have conversation. It’s a rare mama friend who can share your day and not judge/compare/compete.

DSCN2598

And who will take your kid to the potty.

 

On the way home, I had to smile as I remembered how lucky we are to live right next to the coast.

 

California Gurls.

RSCN2599

DSCN2585

 

And fall in NorCal wouldn’t be complete without a nod to Game Day.

goniners 

She may be a California Girl, but she’s also her Dad’s football buddy.

Amelia’s well-rounded like that.

1 comment:

Megan Seely said...

This is a GREAT post. What a day! So much fun. Loved having the girls together. Here is to MANY more mother-daughter-friend road trips and activities!