Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Holy hell

Found Amelia standing in her crib today!

STANDING IN HER CRIB, I say.

She was wailing before her nap--as usual--and her cry began to sound urgent. I could tell something was wrong. A poopy, I figured. She seriously hates a poopy diaper. I go in to her room to find her standing there, holding on to the top rails, bawling. I couldn't help but clap and cheer for her. She's been trying, training, practicing for a while now and has only been able to get up on certain objects (me among them). But not the crib.
Not yet.
Not until today.
As soon as she saw my face, she started laughing too. Laughing and carrying on. Yes, she was stuck and scared, but proud too. She laughed and laughed. Even when I put her on the changing table, she continued giggling. Poor thing had gotten up and then didn't know what to do with herself. She couldn't even celebrate until rescue had arrived.
I wanted so badly to go get the camera, but if I had walked in that room and turned and left, that poor little girl would have just fallen apart. I couldn't ruin her moment like that.

Big day in these parts. She's standing. On her own two feet. Won't be long now.

No comments: